[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG2007 speakers

Adrian Close adrian at auug.org.au
Wed Feb 7 14:10:59 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Arjen Lentz wrote:

> Are you joking? You want to actually compete with LCA/SAGE-AU/OSDC ?
> They are growing, AUUG has been shrinking for years.

Umm... no, not joking.  Not compete, but complement.

It seems to me that the AUUG conference has traditionally covered all of
the areas you mention. Those who can't go to three conferences can get
some coverage of all that in one.  I also think it's beneficial to get all
those people together and talking and kind of broad scope is one reason I
think AUUG needs to exist.

While last year's conference was a little smaller than I would have liked,
I also see benefit in not having a huge number of attendees (less good for
sponsors you might say, but good for registrants).

Now, I'm interested in putting together a conference and I am looking for
drawcard international speaker and conference theme suggestions.

Constructive criticism is also welcome, but we're not going to shrivel up
and die because you think we shouldn't exist.  The message from our
members was pretty clear at the AGM - they want the conference to
continue, so we're going to make it happen.  If you want to help, you're
very welcome, but we don't need the kind of hindrance we had last year,
nor do I want to spend my precious AUUG-time on dealing with it.

Adrian.