[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG2007 speakers

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Feb 7 12:45:38 EST 2007

Hi Adrian,

On 07/02/2007, at 11:07 AM, Adrian Close wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Arjen Lentz wrote:
>> These three appear to neatly complement eachother.
>> Can you indicate where AUUG fits?
>
> All of the above.

Are you joking? You want to actually compete with LCA/SAGE-AU/OSDC ?
They are growing, AUUG has been shrinking for years.

And why would people go to *all* these conferences?
They'll see mostly the same people anyway, either speaking or attending.

> Got a theme or speaker suggestion?

With the above, no. Sorry.

Speaking just for me, last year was, from the business/company
perspective, a waste of time.
The fact that I got my expenses paid for was nice (and appreciated,
thanks) but consider that I was away from work for a week.
I didn't tell my boss, otherwise I would've been murdered. I hope you
appreciate.
AUUG would need to come up with a very compelling proposition to
warrant spending time on it.
Going head-on against all the other conferences, doing exactly what
they are doing, that is not compelling IMHO.
Sorry. If the conf has merit, surely it has some special niche. What
is it?

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Support Engineer & Trainer, MySQL AB
Based in Brisbane, Australia