[AUUG-Talk]: Impact of AUUG 'de-association'

Christopher Vance Christopher.Vance at auug.org.au
Fri Dec 21 12:03:59 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 09:13:54AM +1100, steve jenkin wrote:
>1. This is the second time I've raised these 2 issues (IP & continuing
>AUUG unincorporated)
>    Neither has garned any response.

Oversight or lack of organization is usually more likely than
intentional ignorance.

>2. I explicitly asked last time if the Board would investigate this option.
>    Not acknowledging for the second time is inexcusable. It's very
>intentional.
>    I don't need a full answer - just to know the question *will* be
>answered in due course.

Since the time I've been on the board, we have been pretty bad at
tracking issues or even at meetings.  I can't promise.

>3. The Boards since around 2000 have been 'black-holing' my emails.
>    Would someone, anyone please tell me what's wrong with me.
>    This has hit me really hard.

I'm not aware of this but will check the mail machine.

>4. When I'd heard Liz had left, I offered to run AUUG as Office Manager.
>     Although I chased up multiple times, the best answer I ever got was:
>       "We have a lot to do. We'll consider it when we can."
>    I never even got to pitch a price :-(
>    I really could've used $10,000/year at the time and believe I
>could've made the difference to AUUG
>    continuing.

I'm not sure what to say about this.

>> What's going to happen with the AUUG branding, logo etc after AUUG
>> deregisters as an Association?

I'd hope the Lions award will have "AUUG" as part of its name.

>> AUUG existed many years and had run quite a number of large events
>> before it Incorporated.
>> I believe insurance would've been purchased on an Ad-Hoc basis and there
>> was an AUUG bank account. Possibly even membership dues in later years.
>>
>> If AUUG is un-incorporated (i.e. deregistered as a formal Association)
>> it could still exist in *exactly* the same form as pre-1984.
>> <http://www.auug.org.au/info/>

>> Could the Board please consider this option and report on the
>> structure(s) that would make this possible.
>> This should include the risks/liabilities to individuals.

This mail has been forwarded to the board.

--
Christopher Vance