Voting/board membership Re: [AUUG-Talk]: Re: Don't close AUUG down!

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Tue Dec 11 12:48:30 EST 2007

Adrian Close wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, David Newall wrote:
>
>> No fee seems to have been set for Associate members, but they are, as
>> I read the constitution, permitted to become board members.
>
> My reading suggests that Associate members are not "voting members"
> and as such, are not eligible for board membership.

I don't see any requirement for Officers or Committee Members (to use
the prescribed terms) to be *voting* members.  True, Associates can't
vote at General meetings, but I think they can sit on the Committee.

Sorry to press the point: Were those changes actually sent in a postal
ballot?  The 2005 Returning Officer would be the person to confirm
this.  Who was it?  Can we have an authoritative answer?  In the absence
of that, and in view of the fact that the Constitution published on the
web does not incorporate those changes, I think that the published
Constitution must stand.