[AUUG-Talk]: Personal Contributions - AUUG's Value Add

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 16:25:32 EST 2006

> Steve,
>
> > Q: Where do you go to, to find answers to technical questions??

1 Lists are the hub for information for me.
I am on a couple of fairly general ones but also subscribe to low
traffic lists on  specific topics. I sub and unsub lists depending on
needs for information and
depending on whether the list has good or unique information or people.
I use the lists to connect with specific people and follow up on
threads or issues.
Often the list is the way I find people who make sense.

2 People. Often specific people are my trusted source.
If it is general kind of information it will be someone I trust
generally, if it is specific it will probably be based on the things
theyve posted online about a topic.
Lessig hits the spot for me.
http://www.linuxworld.com/events/keynotes/lwsf06-lessig.html

3 Search. If its something related to a specific application or tech
then I'll search for it in a webberly way.

'Technical' for me these days is mostly about law.

Brendan Scott's newsletter is great.
http://www.opensourcelaw.biz/

Kim Weatherall's blog is great.
http://weatherall.blogspot.com/

Ed Felten has some interesting hands on stuff on Security
and DMCA at Freedom to Tinker. http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/

CPTech and Robin Gross from IPJustice are great for WIPO broadcast law etc.
http://www.cptech.org/a2k/
http://ipjustice.org/

Kat has a great blog on wireless community ness
http://studioincite.com/makingwifi/

Face to face groups like air-stream, bettong, linuxsa, itshare do good stuff.
And irc can be handy too. #ubuntu-au is good value for me =).

Thanks for the question

Janet