[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Sep 20 15:55:34 EST 2006

Hi Enno,

On 20/09/2006, at 2:10 PM, Enno Davids wrote:
> Quite frankly, the biggest money saver for future AUUG confderences
> lies in
> our intent to go back to our technical conference roots.

But how then would this be different from LCA, SAGE-AU and other
technical conferences that are successful and have been growing in
recent years? Doesn't it just increase the overlap?

> The biggest current
> expenses come from using CBD hotels to host the conferences. That
> in the
> past was driven by the need to accomodate the associated exhibiton and
> various other things. If we're going back to our roots we may well
> also go
> back to using the much cheaper venues like the various University
> campuses
> or University college facilities and see much more benefit there than
> anything else we might do.

Ah, so no exhibition? But that means no income there either; I do
realise that going to a cheaper non-CBD venue may help there.
However, going to uni campuses and such will change the audience as
well, and again I think this seriously overlaps with LCA, SAGE-AU and
other similar conferences.

Anyway, let's continue establishing what the roots actually are right
now.
I found the tracking down of the local chapters activity quite
informative.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Support Engineer / Trainer, MySQL AB
Based in Brisbane, Australia