[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Thu Sep 14 21:05:55 EST 2006

AUUG is dying; or already has died but not everyone has noticed yet.  It
was overtaken by the Linux community; which surely includes all of us.
AUUG shares a common spirit with UNIX, which is importantly
characterised by openness and sharing, and that spirit has moved on.  It
still lives, in fact is stronger than ever, but now is called "Open
Source" and Linux is its poster boy.  To my eyes the Linux community's
borders don't stop at Linux, and most certainly includes other dialects
of UNIX.  The Linux community exhibits exactly the same qualities that
AUUG did in its heyday, and has an order of magnitude more energy
(people) than does AUUG.  They now run a better conference, in more
places (AUUG won't get off the eastern seaboard), and with more and
better minor events, too.  They publish more articles, provide more
support, have more users and more influence.  More research comes from
there.  In short, we have become the Linux community.  Now it merely
remains to tidy up some loose ends.  AUUG is one of them.  RIP.