[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Solaris 10 Community Edition + VFE (Rhine) Drivers (David Lloyd)

Stuart Remphrey stuart.remphrey at rmit.edu.au
Tue Oct 17 12:13:17 EST 2006

>Just this week, I've finally worked out how the packaging system works
>(and that the Open Office packages I've downloaded are partially corrupt
>:P).

That would make it an uphill battle! The basic packaging's not too bad,
gets complicated with Zones (separate or combined installs, "dummy"
installs with HOLLOW pkgs) and particularly patch mgmt.

Would be nice to have a defined set of tools to produce/manipulate
package clusters (like the Solaris installer recognises).

Also improved patch mgmt tools (besides Net Congest, Update Conniption).
Sun TLP and the public-domain "pca" Perl scripts are a good start,
and the Open Solaris site does have a good patch/package
dependency tracing script. Although if you're running directly
on Open Solaris builds I guess you won't need Sun patches!

(a Solaris patch production utility could also be useful
for packaged apps and utilities)

>Next, I'm going to try a BFU; then by that time I hope to have gained my
>newer faster desktop and will have my current machine available to
>attempt an installation using source.
>
>And then I'm going to attempt to fix a very small, bit-sized kernel bug.
>- gotta start somewhere.
>
>DSL

Good luck * be interested to hear how you get on.

I've been using Solaris/Solaris Express for years, and just received
an updated desktop which may give me space for an Open Solaris build
with any luck (without risking my daily workstation * maybe via VMware
or Xen...now to get some of that mythical "abundant spare time":-)

Stuart.

Stuart Remphrey
RMIT ITS Infrastructure Services - Unix Systems
Phone (03) 992 55 070  (or extension 55070)