[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Solaris 10 Community Edition + VFE (Rhine) Drivers (David Lloyd)

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Mon Oct 16 20:46:27 EST 2006

Stuart,

> What is in /etc/dhcp.vfe0 and /etc/hostname.cfe0, if anything?
>
> Possibly something like the following may help:
>
> /etc/dhcp.vfe0:
> primary start wait 15
> (or however many seconds after which you want the request
> backgrounded)
>
> /etc/hostname.vfe0:
> inet nodename
> (replace nodename with the actual nodename, if you want a fixed one,
> which is the contents of /etc/nodename and response from `uname -n`)

Indeed, I discovered that I forgot to:

  touch /etc/hostname.vfe0

...but I did do:

  touch /etc/dhcp.vfe0

This caused the network scripts to attempt a DHCP configuration of a
device that hadn't been plumbed. The part I forgot was the file that
causes the startup scripts to perform the "ifconfig vfe0 plumb" step.

Hopefully by mid next year I may have a kind of:

  "My Migration from Linux to Solaris Community Edition" talk

Just this week, I've finally worked out how the packaging system works
(and that the Open Office packages I've downloaded are partially corrupt
:P).

Next, I'm going to try a BFU; then by that time I hope to have gained my
newer faster desktop and will have my current machine available to
attempt an installation using source.

And then I'm going to attempt to fix a very small, bit-sized kernel bug.
- gotta start somewhere.

DSL