[AUUG-Talk]: [Fwd: Re: AUUG scanning for Google Print]

Frank Crawford frank at crawford.emu.id.au
Sun Nov 26 11:02:16 EST 2006

Dave, Others,
	There is a step before all this that you are forgetting, there is a
legal agreement between AUUG and Google regarding what is allowed and
what isn't.  AUUG will certainly be including an item that the files
must be available, and if they do put up a low-res image, then we will
terminate the agreement, in which case we get the PDFs back.

	As well, reading the entire FAQ, their aim is to put up as much as
possible, in fact, one of the FAQ items is:

Q. Can you sell subscriptions for our digitized journals?
A. The goal of this program is to help make archival journal collections
more accessible and more visible. We do not plan to charge for access to
these articles (via subscription or purchase). There are several other
organizations that facilitate subscription/paper-per-view based
monetization of digitized collections.

	Regarding downloading, yes according to their documentation we should
be able to download them, I take it to be a option that the viewer can
select, i.e. they are not forced to download or print it.  The only
minor problem with downloading is that the current sample page doesn't
have that option, but also, that is an image of a book, not a journal
like ours.

	In particular, I take it as an item for us to decide on in the
agreement with Google.

	Finally, what is the real value of the old AUUGNs?  It has historical
value showing the history of Unix development in Australia, but no great
commercial value.  However, if we don't do anything soon, that will be
lost, as despite AUUG's best intentions we will never really organise to
get them all digitised by ourselves.

Regards
Frank

P.S. Dave, "Thou shalt not profit from my offer.", do you just mean
Google (or other commercial entity) or do you also include AUUG is that
statement?