[AUUG-Talk]: [Fwd: Re: AUUG scanning for Google Print]

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Nov 26 00:01:49 EST 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Glenn Satchell wrote:

> > > Q. Can you provide us with the digital files?
> > > A: We are unable to provide the digital files unless we terminate the
> > > service or the agreement. We would like to point out that this is a
> > > non-exclusive program.
> >
> > Will the digital files be publicly available, i.e. can we fetch them
> > ourselves (individually, or as AUUG) once they are available?
>
>  Q: What will users see when they find my digitized articles?
>  A: Users will see the full digitized article and will have an option to
>  download PDFs for reading or printing. <snip>
>
> Doesn't that clause cover it?

Not in the slightest; it's that "option" bit that worries me, and until
that's cleared up then I'm going to sit tight on my early issues, thank
you very much.

I mean, what part of "We are unable to provide the digital files" happens
to correspond to "Users will see the full digitized article", for fsck's
sake?

For example, if those Google moguls are going to provide a blurry low-res
image for viewing but a pay-per-view high-res, then I really am going to
reconsider my offer.  In other words, NO.

Perhaps it was remiss of me to fail to point out a blindingly obvious
condition of my offer: "Thou shalt not profit from my offer."

Covering expenses is one thing (and I'm prepared to pay for that out of my
own pocket, if AUUG won't come to the party) but there ain't no way that
anyone is going to make any money out these early issues.

Details, please; details.  AUUG is supposed to be "Open", after all.

-- Dave