[AUUG-Talk]: Re: [BUGA] Sell me an Apple!

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Wed Mar 29 13:13:10 EST 2006

Quoting David Vincent <d__ at mac.com>:

> On 27/03/2006, at 23:38, David Newall wrote:
>
> > Gary R. Schmidt said:
> >> Oh, it's _way_ beyond crap.  I just started working with it, my
> first
> >> "Oh No!" is this - there is a Kernel Memory Allocation Zone where
>
> >> kernel
> >> allocations greater than 8Kb go.
> >>
> >> Its size is calculated based on physical RAM, and it is *fixed*.
> >
> > This sounds like some sort of buffer cache, and an assignation
> based on
>
> I am not a kernel programmer, but a Linux kernel contributor I spoke
> thought this was more of a quirk than a fundamental defect.
>
> Gary talks elsewhere about other issues apparently with the hardware

Not me, that was Greg, Greg Black, to be precise.  I don't own a Mac,
but currently sit near a few at work, at least until I start my new job,
which probably won't involve a Mac, I think.  Restructures do that to you.

[SNIP]
> No, the real lesson that Apple programmers (and others) should have
> learned by now is:
>
>    No matter what you do, some clod is going to flame you for it.

Nah, but I'll flame _you_ for inadequate functional wetware.  :->

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)