[AUUG-Talk]: Re: [BUGA] Sell me an Apple!

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Mon Mar 27 22:40:43 EST 2006

David Lloyd wrote:
 > Greg,
 >

 >>>I would have thought an Intel-based Mac.
 >>
 >>They're brand new, and thus much more expensive.  What advantage would
 >>I get?
 >

 > Intel Macs are much faster than G4's and G5's especially when dealing
 > with server applications. The OS is still slow - the chips are just
 > faster.
 >
 > I don't believe the Adobe suite is a native port yet to Intel Macs...
 >
 > Personally, I think the problem is OS X itself; Intel Macs only run
 > faster because of the hardware - the OS is still crap.

Oh, it's _way_ beyond crap.  I just started working with it, my first
"Oh No!" is this - there is a Kernel Memory Allocation Zone where kernel
allocations greater than 8Kb go.

Its size is calculated based on physical RAM, and it is *fixed*.

When I was told about this, my reaction was an incredulous, "Apple's
programmers haven't learned /anything/ since 1986?!?!?!?!?"

I await eagerly my next lesson in MacOSX design "features".

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)