[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG President's Newsletter - v1n2, 23-mar-2006

John O'Brien john at whitesmiths.com
Sun Mar 26 07:59:34 EST 2006

Dear All,

The School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of
New South Wales has established the John Lions Chair. It is not fully
funded as an endowed chair at present. The fund raisers did receive a
major contribution from the US corporation Qualcomm that has allowed
the position to be initially filled.

We are seeking additional financial assistance to make this a fully
endowed chair, a perpetual position. USENIX has announced the
creation of a matching fund for the John Lions Chair. Thus any moneys
now raised will now be matched by them, a very generous offer from
our US counterparts. Given the contributions made by John to AUUG in
its formation, I would think that AUUG and any like Australian
organisations should use their best endeavours to undertake whatever
activities appropriate to assist in raising of the additional funds
to ensure this is an endowed chair.

Thank you for your continuing support.

John O'Brien
Chairman