[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG President's Newsletter - v1n2, 23-mar-2006

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Thu Mar 23 15:49:53 EST 2006

Hi David, all,

<quote who="David Purdue">

> *** The John Lions Chair in Operating Systems
>
> The University of New South Wales is establishing an endowed Chair to
> recognise the enormous contribution made by John Lions to the world of
> computing.

Just a quick note of interest about the John Lions Chair. Maddog (aka - Jon
Hall) had a auction at linux.conf.au this year and we managed to raise
almost $50k. The auction items going for ~$10k (mainly by a few large cabals
outbidding each other), Linux Australia choosing to match the auction for
$10k, almost $5000 donated from peoples pockets on the night and then Usenix
matching the full amount. If AUUG were to host an auction for this cause at
your conference in October, I'm sure Maddog and all the other folk trying to
make this happen would be very thankful.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/