[AUUG-Talk]: 30th anniversary

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Tue Jan 24 06:18:52 EST 2006

At 23:40 2006-01-23 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Steve Landers wrote:
>
> > > I can't put my hands upon my Lions' Books right now (the originals, of
> > > course) but I seem to recall a timeline in there.  The date certainly
> > > sounds right (I was not at the conference, but I was *there* when the
> > > US$200 tape arrived).
> >
> > According to the timeline, that was December 1975. No mention of AUUG's
> > founding date though (at least, not that I can see in the first half dozen
> > pages or so).

There is one thing I can date with high accuracy; around December
197*4*, Chris and I found a printout on the Elec Eng batch station
printer and couldn't figure out what the programming language was,
that had /* PL-1 comments */ and overstruck (- where we'd expect to
see "begin". It was, of course, C. So the first Version 5 tape
arrived about then. The $200 tape that Dave mentions was, I think,
the Version 6 "official" tape.

>Now you're going to ask me to look through my old AUUGN archives (yes,
>they're locked away in cardbox boxes somewhere).  AUUG, of course,
>post-dated Unix by a year or so.
>
>We missed the boat on UNIX, so it looks like ORGAN will have to be next
>(assuming anyone here remembers that).  Greg?  Ian?  Chris?  Who the hell
>is here, anyway?

I'm here, but I honestly have no idea what ORGAN means (unless you're
referring to the pun of AUUGN being the official organ ...)

Greg.

Greg Rose                                    INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Incorporated     VOICE: +1-858-651-5733   FAX: +1-858-651-5766
5775 Morehouse Drive                    http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
San Diego, CA 92121   232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C