[AUUG-Talk]: Re: [BUGA] Replacing/repairing Apple Powerbook power supply?

Daryl Tester Daryl.Tester at iocane.com.au
Mon Jan 16 07:16:07 EST 2006

Brett Lymn wrote:

> That would be rather unusual for a laptop power supply - the
> non-starting unless loaded sort are usually reserved for "internal"
> type supplies where there is a fixed load.  You really don't want your
> switch-mode power supply sitting there not oscillating, that could
> cause nasty brown smells.

Typically that's the over voltage protection kicking in, specifically
to avoid the nasty brown smells.  :-)  Bear in mind I haven't touched
a switch mode internals for 10+ years, so the state of the art may
have changed some since then.  FWIW, my two IBM laptop brickettes
do spit out a voltage under no load.

--
Regards,
  Daryl Tester, IOCANE Pty. Ltd.