[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Mobile phone/PDA recommendations?

David Wolverton david.wolverton at internode.on.net
Fri Dec 9 13:27:45 EST 2005

> Can anybody suggest useful alternatives to the HP?
Hi Greg, I recommend the I-Mate PDA 2K. (
http://www.imate.com/t-DETAILS_PDA2K.aspx )

Though undisputably on the expensive side, it 'justifies' the inital outlay
by doing more than any other phone (at least that I'm aware of) on the
market. In fact, I've found it's replaced my laptop, paper diary, camera -
and a myriad of other things I'd thought I couldn't live without...

With regards to it's meeting your below criteria:

> - GSM phone
The PDA2K operates in: 850/900/1800 and 1900Mhz enviornments.

> - traditional PDA, with lots of memory (1 GB or more).  The HP needs
> an external SD card to handle this.
Not sure why you'd need so much memory, but you can insert an expansion card
into the SDIO/MMC slot and go up to your 1GB - as well as keeping the 128MB
of built-in Ram.

> - preferably usable with a UNIX-like operating system, at least as
> dual boot.
I've heard of people installing/using NIX's/NUX's on these - though I
haven't seen it with my own eyes so can't confirm this.

> - Connectivity.  HP has only Bluetooth and GPRS; I'd be much happier
> with 802.11.
Bluetooth, Infrared, GPRS and 802.11b all are standard.

> - Camera, I suppose.  The HP has a 1.3 megapixel camera, which is good
> by comparison with others, but marginal by comparison with real
> cameras.
The PDA 2k boats still-camera, Movie Camera (with sound) as standard.  I
find the quality so good in fact that I almost never bother getting my
'real' camera out any more.

If you have an account with Leader, they are the local distributor of I-Mate
here in SA - otherwise, send an email to their Sales Manager (Jamie I-Anson)
jamie at leadersystems.com.au telling him which Suburb you live in and asking
him to match it with an IT Reseller in the area. (Leader are a wholesaler
only and don't sell to the public)

Oh, and just for the record: I have no interests in/investments in/Etc
either Leader or I-Mate... I own/use an I-Mate, like using my I-Mate and
that's my sole motivation for recommending I-Mate...  Hope this helps :-)