[AUUG-Talk]: ACA says that Anti-spam laws are working...

Joel Sing joel at ionix.com.au
Mon Jul 26 02:17:43 EST 2004

[snip]
> But certainly it's reached the point where it's vastly decreased the
> usability of email for me.  I'm planning to kill off all those old
> addresses, then start using signed messages and a whitelist to filter
> mail I want while treating everything else as suspect to begin with.

If you run your own mail server I would strongly suggest having a look a
greylisting - OpenBSD's spamd (http://www.openbsd.org/spamd/) does a
fantastic job of it! Greylisting will not be effective with your redirected
email addresses, however it will be with your catchall address.

The volume of spam I receive has dropped from around 50-100 per day to
virtually none - I received just 2 over the weekend and both were filtered
off from my Inbox, thanks to SpamAssassin. Many of our clients have
experienced similar results. This is effectively a result of using
greylisting and the Spamhaus SBL/XBL blacklists.

> That's fine for me, but not much use for my mum unless I want to start
> managing her email for her too.

That's one option. Otherwise you can get her an email account with an ISP that
employs effective spam blocking techniques (such as ourselves ;)
             => Joel Sing | joel at ionix.com.au | 0419 577 603 <=