[AUUG-Talk]: ACA says that Anti-spam laws are working...

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Fri Jul 23 12:23:04 EST 2004

On 2004-07-23, David Purdue wrote:

> According to The Age
> (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/22/1090464779848.html) the
> Australian Communications Authority says that the new Anti-Spam laws
> have dramatically reduced the amount of spam we are all recevining.
>
> Has anyone noticed?

Those people must live in a parallel universe, er, a diverging
universe.

In May, I personally received 12513 spams; in June, I received
12614; and so far this month I've received 8780 (not counting
six that have come in so far while I've been typing this).

On the face of it, this looks like a slight reduction this month
after effectively no change in June.  However, sometime in June
the ACM introduced a spam filter from Postini to help solve the
problem for @acm.org aliases.  Since the Postini filter has
actually blocked hundreds of spams that would otherwise have
come to me, the figures above represent a continuing increase in
spam in my inbox.

Legislation alone won't do much; somebody vigorously enforcing
legislation with a baseball bat might help ...

Cheers, Greg