[Talk] Chilling effect?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Feb 24 23:02:58 EST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:11, Greg Black wrote:
> On 2004-02-24, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:39, Greg Black wrote:
>>> But they also allow you to click on a
>>> button to go ahead and try anyway and they allow you to tick a
>>> box to avoid being reminded about this next time.

>> For one month. Then NAB asks you to go download IE or NS again.
>> Every month.

> As was made clear in the sentence that you cut that immediately
> preceded the above quote.

Not exactly. You didn't spcify that the cookie died monthly.

> What bothers me is that all these idiots who write tests to see
> if you have the right browser or the required extra stuff like
> java or javascript neither know how to determine what you have
> nor do they know what impact it will have.  What we really need
> is to put an end to idiots writing software that drives business
> web sites.

Agree.

> As a group, AUUG would do far more good in this world if we were
> to start campaigning for better software standards in general
> rather than whining about having to click a mouse occasionally.

I think the minor goal here is not so much to eliminate the click, as to
eliminate the (appearance of) prejudice against a whole class of
software that some of use use and "sell" daily.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia