[Talk] Chilling effect?

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Tue Feb 24 22:11:40 EST 2004

On 2004-02-24, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:39, Greg Black wrote:
> > But they also allow you to click on a
> > button to go ahead and try anyway and they allow you to tick a
> > box to avoid being reminded about this next time.
>
> For one month. Then NAB asks you to go download IE or NS again. Every
> month.

As was made clear in the sentence that you cut that immediately
preceded the above quote.

The point is that two extra mouse clicks per month is not really
a burden; their banking site works fine with all the browsers
that I've bothered to try.

What bothers me is that all these idiots who write tests to see
if you have the right browser or the required extra stuff like
java or javascript neither know how to determine what you have
nor do they know what impact it will have.  What we really need
is to put an end to idiots writing software that drives business
web sites.

As a group, AUUG would do far more good in this world if we were
to start campaigning for better software standards in general
rather than whining about having to click a mouse occasionally.

Cheers, Greg