[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUGN Format

Sam Stainsby sam at stainsby.id.au
Wed Dec 8 13:24:26 EST 2004

Hi all,

Sounds great. Any info on the details of the portal that they are
designing? Any business requirements specs. would be good. I'm currently
doing CMS and portal-related contract work for both the Queensland
Greens and The Wilderness Society. At the risk of pre-empting the
technology before knowing the requirements fully, my examination of a
large number of OSS CMSs and portals have lead me inevitably to
Zope/Plone as a solution. I hope this is being considered for your project.

As a member of the Queensland Greens as well, I get to "eat my own dog
food", and I have to say that the introduction of a members-only
website, with forums, chats, file areas, calendar, etc. has been a
wonderful development (though I say it myself!). We have about 240
members registered on the site (a bit less than half of the QLD
membership). I used PostNuke for that system, but we are thinking of
moving to Plone for some new projects.

I am happy to share my experiences about developing and administering
such system from an insider's point of view. An not just technical
opinions --> one suggestion: get your "Terms of Use" agreement hammered
out *before* allowing people onto the system!!

Cheers,
Sam.