[Talk] Re: Cheaper conferences Not in commercial hotels would help BSD.

David McDonald david.mcdonald at securitymail.com.au
Mon Sep 23 13:51:09 EST 2002

It interests me.

But with universities now having a commercial focus, can we be sure that
conferences in a university will be any cheaper?

In relation to a comment by Frank Crawford:

	"Greg, as you know, a lot of the cost also goes into printing,
	especially of the proceedings, food, and international speakers.
	All of which are the same whatever the venue."

As for the cost of providing the food - if I was attending a University
conference and the University food facilities were made available to me (I'm
not sure who would permit or deny this, so I don't know how feasible it
might me), then I'd be very happy to use the University facilities. Surely
if we were charged normal street prices, these costs should not be
exorbitant.

As for social interaction after hours, we could just hang out at a bar.
(Nobody has to drink, but enough probably would to make the barman happy).

Dave McDonald