[Talk] Re: Cheaper conferences Not in commercial hotels would help BSD.

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Mon Sep 23 11:18:10 EST 2002

What does Linux.conf.au cost to go attend??

Yes - I agree STRONGLY that right now we are now running a 'premium
event with full trade show'.  We are no longer trying to make ourselves
known & acceptable to 'business'.

I would like to be making the conference happen for the cheapest
possible price -so we can attract the LINUX CROWD, students etc.

Also, for your comparision, the CMGA (mentioned by Groggy), was on the
week after AUUG - $2750 for 3 days (non-members).  At $650 (+$1000 accom
& $500 airfare) was AUUG better value? Yep.  How many _new_ people (from
out of town) did it attract?

Our future is new members, we have to pay _special_ attention to
attracting, _including_ them & listening to & nuturing them.

We have completed our first mission - 'Promote Unix'.
We now have a new mission - '_The_ place of all Unix Heads to get
together'
They will have to _want_ to come to us...

hope this provokes some discussion/comment.

sj

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> FYI.  This went round the FreeBSD lists earlier today.  It's a thing
> that we've been talking about on the AUUG Board for some time.  Note
> particularly the reference to GUUG, our German counterpart, who do a
> two conferences a year with different focus.  Is this something that
> would interest people?
>
> Greg

<<snip>>

--------