[Talk] AUUG - not just a Linux/BSD/Apple/Vendor group

Michael Paddon michael at paddon.org
Fri Sep 20 18:19:19 EST 2002

Steve Jenkin writes:
> On the other theme I'd got to:
> "Australian Unix Users Group - Professional grade Open Compuing"
>
> Comments?

Coming up with an ideal tag line is a difficult proposition, although I
encourage the Board to grab this bull by the horns. One of AUUG's big issues is
that people don't know why we exist, and a snappy tag can go a long way to
closing that gap.

One of the issues that always arises when trying to choose tags is that you
want to be punchy but not exclusive. I would argue that AUUG is interesting to
many groups... professionals, enthusiasts, community groups, etc. We don't
want to necessarily favour one over the other. For instance, a huge amount of
interesting activity occurs in the enthusiast space (many open source projects
fall into this category).

On the other hand, we need a tag line that is as intelligible to the commercial
world as it is to those in geekspace. I believe that one of the major
contributions that AUUG can make is in occupying the common space between all the
disparate elements of the open computing mileau, hence providing a common
forum and community.

So my visceral response to your suggestion is that the elements are there, but
the balance perhaps needs refinement. I'd certainly encourage others to air their
views on this matter as well... Where is the peanut gallery when you need it?

And I wonder what the AUUG Board's view is...

Michael