[Talk] AUUG - not just a Linux/BSD/Apple/Vendor group

Michael Paddon michael at paddon.org
Fri Sep 13 17:50:55 EST 2002

Steve Jenkin writes:
> It is 'Unix' specific, but not (just) Sys Admin, programming,
> interconnecting, metrics, performance, ....
> _and_ it makes us '_the_ place to meet peers when you earn your
> livlihood from Unix'

The trick is to find a tag that describes us well (ubergeekspace) but avoids
unfortunate legalities or associations.

Upon reflection, there are several words that can describe us (at least
broadly): open, interoperate, technology, professional, enthusiasts, etc.

There are words and phrases I think we should avoid due to excess baggage:
unix, linux, internet, enterprise, open system, open source, etc. These are
not bad terms, just potentially self limiting in various ways.

As a tag, therefore, I tend to like something along the lines of:
   Open Computing Technology for Professionals and Enthusiasts

Of course, an infinite number of tag lines with different emphasis are
possible. The key is to find a way to describe ourselves to the world in
general (and prospective members in particular) that sums up our raison d'etre.
This description should be as extroverted and inclusive as possible.

Michael