[SAGE-AU] Re: [Talk] Reality check...

Duane Schultz duane at connect.com.au
Wed Sep 11 17:41:33 EST 2002

Quoting John Stern (J.Stern at bom.gov.au):
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > > IDEA:
> > > The cost of DLT & LTO tape media is ~$3/Gb.
> > > The cost of commodity IDE drives is ~$1-2/Gb.  IDE enclosures with
> > > either Firewire or USB are cheap & readily available.
> >
> > IDE costs around $3/Gb too.
> 9940's (60GB) cost about $240 an 80GB seagate is ~$210.
> I don't know the pricing on LTO or DLT.

In our last order of LTO's, we got around 250 carts for $40k, which
makes each tape around $160. We're getting 150 - 200 GB per cart which
makes the cost per GB vary between 80c and $1.

We're also getting read/write speeds of around 25MB / sec per drive,
which is a little out of the bounds of IDE.

Mind you, this sort of infrastructure doesn't come cheap - especially
once some software is involved - a 160GB drive in a firewire enclosure
looks like a darn good solution for home from what I can see, as long as
its taken somewhere else once the data is on it...

--
| Duane Schultz                               System Manager |
| duane at connect.com.au                connect.com.au pty ltd |