[SAGE-AU] Re: [Talk] Reality check...

Rohan Durrant rohan at cs.rmit.edu.au
Wed Sep 11 14:58:28 EST 2002

For home small office etc, a IDE drive backup seems like a damn good idea.
I am currently waiting for my USB2/Firewire external case with removable
disk caddy to arrive for my home office.

On the other hand, backing up 500GB-1TB onto IDE doesn't really thrill me :)
I much prefer my tape library and DLT tapes.

Network Appliance now have a device that is tapping into this IDE backup
market though.... unfortunately it is slightly out of my requirements :)
Their NearStore appliance is pretty much a standard NetApp filer head, with
disk trays that convert IDE-SCSI/FC then down to the filer head.

http://www.netapp.com/products/nearstore/r100_ds.html

12TB starting.... now what could I backup there ?

Better clear out some space for a rack in the machine room :)

Rohan

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 02:10:34PM +1000, Joe McKinnon wrote:
> Well the disk idea is useable, however it defeats the off-site idea of
> backups.  Maybe a mirrored or rsynced array hanging off 2KM of fibre to
> another site might be more useful....where you rsync to a different diskset
> each night, without swapping drives.
>
> Also the other issue with using drives - what about the little blighter that
> spins all the time, but the first time you power it off, never wants to come
> back to life. :-)

Rohan Durrant                              Phone: +61 3 992 53210
Unix Systems Administrator                 Fax:   +61 3 966 21617
RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia      Work: rohan at cs.rmit.edu.au
School of Computer Science & Info Tech.    Play: noddy at inspire.nu
SAGE-AU Victorian President		   http://www.sage-au.org.au