[Talk] Re: AUUG moving forward

Raymond Smith zzrasmit at uqconnect.net
Wed Mar 27 23:26:16 EST 2002

Hi David,

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, David Lloyd wrote:
> > People need to ask themselves could they really spend whole
> > days at a time on organising the conference? Other events?
> I'm not sure about the time off, however it would be something that I
> would consider doing during holidays. Why?
>
> a) "organised AUUG-2003" looks good on my CV
> b) AUUG benefits by my contribution

As someone with 'organised linux.conf.au 2002' on his CV, let me assure
you that these are the right motivations but that Greg is absolutely
correct when he points out the quantity of work required to run a
successful conference; and even now we are only just at the end of the
conference administrivia. AUUG's business manager is a great strength.

FWIW, here are some opinions on other topics in this thread.

problems in opening our mailing lists to all and sundry. We do impose
draconian rules on who may post which minimises spam. We do not count
members of the mailing list as being 'members' and but we are quite
welcome for people to lurk there as long as they like.

We have had mixed success with splitting lists. Our three original lists of
announce, general, and chat have worked well. However our two spin-off
lists of 'talks' (for people who want to present) and dsig (for
developers) have been almost completely ignored.

I would also point out that the traffic on 'talk' is about the same as a
number of other national body's mailing lists including Linux Australia
and ISOC-AU. The only group I have found to have active national lists is
SAGE-AU which is an arguably more focussed body.

As far as a direction for AUUG goes, I find this a harder question to
answer. I joined AUUG because I support its aims and because AUUGN looked
interesting. I'm also hopeful that one day I'll get to make a conference.
:-) I would welcome the opportunity for more local (Qld) participation,
but am not ready to make that happen myself just yet and, if I am honest,
am probably too busy to always turn up.

Cheers,

Raymond
---
raymond at humbug.org.au     "Try, or try not. There is no do." -- said during
                          a linux.conf.au 2002 organising committee meeting