[Talk] A denial of service attack?

David Purdue david.purdue at auug.org.au
Fri Jun 14 17:25:30 EST 2002

Well we tracked it down in the end - and, believe it or not, it
was Microsoft's fault. :-)

In any case, our sysadmin tracked it to a newly connected PC running
Window's 2000 Server.

This box had its DHCP server switched on.

Apparently Win2K has the attitude, "If I am serving DHCP, then
no one else is allowed to."  What we were seeing was the effect
of the Win2K DHCP server blocking our DHCP server from serving
addresses.

I don't know why it was not serving addresses itself. :-|

Anyway - a nice little DOS attack for anyone out there interested
in writing such a thing. ;-)

DavidP