[Talk] Web Browser Exclusion

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Wed Dec 11 06:46:30 EST 2002

Anthony David <adavid at adavid.com.au> writes:

> Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My recent experience is http://www.abr.gov.au/. This page is OK, but try
> > to follow the link to register for an ABN (a useful thing to try to do). I
> > tried Galen, Mozilla and Netscape.  Only IE would work.  Anyone else want
> > to try it.
> >
> > I have sent them a polite note pointing out not only the IE bias, but the
> > fact that the "your browser is unsupported" page is (or at least, was)
> > broken.
>
> Interesting
>
> I have dealings with the developers of that site and in the past
> they did make some effort to ensure cross-browser support. They even
> got an iMac to assist with their testing. Looking at their site,
> it has recently been revamped, I suspect by the new owners :(
>
> The referral page 404s as well ...

My suspicions were correct. ATO are the culprits, their "browser test"
only is looking for an IE version > 5. Other browsers don't set
that version higher than 5. The ABR people were aware of numerous
complaints and have complained to ATO themselves. Deaf ears abound
at the moment. They suggested complaining to ATO directly.

--
Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/
0xA72CE1ED fingerprint = EA1E C69E FE59 BBE1 AA4B  F354 BD09 9765 A72C E1ED