[Talk] Re: auug.org.au mailing list memberships reminder

David Bullock db at dawnbreaks.net
Thu Aug 1 16:11:30 EST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 david.newall at auug.org.au wrote:

> >> This isn't spam, it's relevant information.
> > We disagree.
>
> I would rather not receive it, either.

Options for not receiving it currently include:

 1) write a more sophisticated authentication system for MailMan
    (which is the key problem: password reminders are a mere symptom)

 2) write an option for MailMan to turn off password reminder notices
    on a per-user level

 3) turn off reminder notices for all users of the list

 4) use list software other than MailMain

 5) filter out reminder notices using your email client
    or procmail (this 'spam' conveniently contains the same
    key headers each time)

 6) leave the list

Regarding those options in the exclusive control of the
list adminstrators.

Re 3:  the list administrators are unwilling to perform
       administrative requests on behalf of users who have
       forgotten their password.  It's enough of an effort
       keeping up with bounces and possible spam mails.

Re 4:  moving to a different system would invalidate the other
       advantages of MailMan for which reason we swapped to it.

Feel free to try other options at your leisure.  We'll commit
to upgrading to versions of MailMan that contain the desired
features.

sincerely,
David.

--