The new AUUG board

Adrian Close adrian at auug.org.au
Thu Aug 17 22:42:39 EST 2006

Dear fellow AUUG member,

There was an excellent response to our call for board participation.
As it turned out, with the retiring of some board members and new
nominations there wasn't a need for an election and I'm pleased to
announce your new board for 2006/7 (sorry about the wait):

President:		Adrian Close
Vice President:		Steve Landers
Treasurer:		Christopher Vance
Secretary:		Raymond Smith

Immediate Past President: David Purdue

Ordinary Members:

Gordon Hubbard
Simon Greaves
David Vincent
Adam Jenkins
Grant Allen

Returning Officer:		Frank Crawford
Assistant Returning Officer:	Kevin Dawson

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank retiring board members Greg
Lehey and Jonathon Coombes for their hard work and dedication over the
years. Likewise Martin Schwenke who has stepped down from the board this
year as well as Susie Close who has taken on a demanding role in her
professional life (but now becomes AUUG's "first lady").

We also welcome the influx of new blood to the board to complement the old
guard and help us guide the organisation to continuing relevance and more
value to members.  In particular, I'd like to mention a few of the new
board members - Simon Greaves, Raymond Smith and David Vincent:

Simon joins us from Fiji, where he works as a Systems and Networks Manager
at the University of the South Pacific, running one of the world's
geographically largest networks.  He is a long-time Unix user and is
probably the first AUUG board member residing outside Australia.  We
welcome his experience and input.

Raymond works as a software developer with Oracle in Brisbane,
implementing software compatible with the HL7 healthcare information
systems standard.  He is involved in the Brisbane Linux community, and has
spent many years as HUMBUG secretary.

David works with Toshiba Australia in Sydney, developing embedded systems
and in-house developer tools using Linux and Darwin.

Meanwhile, planning is well underway for the conference and the programme
is looking good.  Depending on the number of streams we might still have
some speaking slots, so if you have an interest in presenting (even if you
are talking on a work-in-progress) please contact me (or better still,
auug2006prog at auug.org.au) to discuss further. Likewise, we still have room
for a few more tutorial sessions so if you'd like to present a tutorial
(or even if you just have an idea for one) then I'd be pleased to discuss
it further with you.

In any case, we look forward to seeing you at AUUG2006 in Melbourne in
October - further details are available via the link on the AUUG website
at http://www.auug.org.au/.

Adrian Close
President, AUUG Inc.
pstn: +61 417 346 094