Update: Bulk buy of wireless cards

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Thu May 30 11:33:32 EST 2002

A week ago I sent out a message about a possible bulk purchase of
wireless cards.  I have had a fair amount of feedback, which I'd like
to summarize here:

1.  Greg Rose observes:

    Avaya is the current name of the Lucent spin-off (for a while they
    were called Orinoco, but I think the island sued them or
    something). The genuine Lucent/Avaya cards are manufactured in
    Taiwan. So whether these are clones or the real thing is hard to
    know.

2.  Scott Howard notes:

    CX computers in Sydney are selling Nokia cards for $109, and
    Netgear for $112, in Qty's of 1. (And from memory both of them do
    128 bit encryption)

    ie, $97 for a min order of 250 isn't a particularly special price.

    Michael Still also pointed to CX.

3.  Grant Morphett tells me:

    Greg, I had no clue what TIB was but after emailing Steve Haigh I
    discovered its "The Incredible Bulk" and can be found at

    http://www.wireless.org.au/tib

    I am not sure if you wish to send this out to the AUUG list as it
    may be only I who is behind the times in acronyms.

4.  The only warranty on the cards is against being DOA.  If you buy
    them commercially, you'll do better than that.  Note, however,
    that our last purchase didn't even have this warranty, and we had
    no DOAs that I'm aware of.

5.  I haven't had any volunteer to arrange to coordinate AUUG's
    involvement.  In fact, I've only had four replies from people
    interested in buying a card.  If you're still interested after
    reading the above, I'd suggest you contact Steven directly.

Greg Lehey
Secretary, AUUG Inc.