Bulk buy of wireless cards

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Thu May 23 16:35:12 EST 2002

For those of you who missed out on the last purchase of wireless
cards, here's another chance.  The good news is that the price of
wireless cards has dropped dramatically in the last few months, so
these will be even cheaper.  First the announcement.  Read on for how
we will handle it for AUUG members.

On Thu, 23 May 2002 15:23:18 +1000, Steven Haigh <netwiz at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] Bulk buy on Avaya 802.11 equipment.
>
> I know there's been a few deals fall through on the Enterasys/Skynet
> Global cards lately - and let me assure you straight off - with this
> deal, if we reach the minimum of 250 cards before the buy closes, the
> delivery will be guarenteed.
>
> The details on the cards can be found at:
> http://www1.avaya.com/enterprise/who/docs/pccards/fullprodinfo.html
>
> These cards come in a retail package. ie they have a box, manual, cd,
> card case - everything you would get if you were to buy the package
> from a computer store.
>
> The Comcode on these cards are 700 016 777 - which states that they
> are "Avaya Wireless PC Card - Silver, with 64-bit WEP encryption". I
> have personally tested one of these cards under Windows XP, and no
> drivers were needed - as they are from the same manufacturer as the
> Enterasys / Skynet Global cards.
>
> Price will be $97 per card. This also includes a warranty on the cards
> being dead on arrival. We have a minimum purchase amount of 250 cards,
> and a maximum of 950.
>
> We also have the Gold cards available. These are 128bit versions of
> the above card. Depending on demand, we may start a bulk buy on those
> as well.  There is a minimum of 250 cards in one bulk buy - and a
> maximum of 3500.  These cards will be about $115 per card - depending
> on demand.
>
> This will be on the TIB tonight - please spread the word regarding
> this deal, as we have until the 30th of this month to secure a number
> of cards.  If we don't a) get more than 250 orders or b) don't secure
> the minimum number of cards, then this deal will not proceed.
>
> Signed,
> Steven Haigh
> President - Melbourne Wireless
> www.wireless.org.au

I have checked up on this card and have been told that they are
Orinoco clones, including the original Lucent firmware, in other words
pretty much identical to the cards in last November's bulk purchase.

I checked with Steven before posting to auug-announce, and got the
following reply:

On Thu, 23 May 2002 16:22:50 +1000, Steven Haigh <netwiz at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Bulk buy on Avaya 802.11 equipment. (fwd)
>
> As stated in the original email, the purchase will be placed on the TIB
> tonight...
>
> Just to add another detail - this is a deal *directly* with the
> manufacturer...
>
> I don't mind you forwarding it - although I would like a rep from
> your group to do the collecting on behalf of your group and make one
> order/payment from your group, to the account we designate instead
> of us having to deliver indiviually with multiple members.

I should therefore make a couple of points:

1.  This is not an AUUG-sponsored purchase.  If you have any problems,
    you should take them up with Steven.
2.  Do we have a volunteer to collect the money?  If you're
    interested, please contact me.  I don't really have time to do it
    myself right now.

Greg Lehey
Secretary, AUUG Inc.