[AUUG-Talk]: AUUGPS v. Linux Australia v. AUUG continuing

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Nov 24 01:49:52 EST 2008

Hi all,

As the original proponent of the AUUGPS, I have been asked to expound a
little more.  Here I am not speaking as a member of the AUUG board, but
for myself (and maybe for the PS, since I started it).

My original motivation (brought on by the complete lack of any action on
others part) was to allow the auug.org.au domain name (and the email
addresses, discussion lists, web pages and other history associated with
it) to not be lost in the event that AUUG was forced (or chose) to
dissolve.

The secondary motivation is to make it very clear that AUUG as it used to
exist does not any more.  Having a new name gives us proper break and
changes peoples expectations about what the organisation will be doing.

The main problem we have here (as I see it) is that any body
that the domain name is transferred to must fulfil the requirements of
the AUDA to hold the license.  There are two parts, eligibility to hold
any name, and eligibility to hold that particular name.

The first part requires a legal entity (see
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-06/ section 5):

"5.2 The following are legal entities and may be entered in the registrant field of the registry  database:

a) a registered company (proprietary or public);
b) an individual;
c) an incorporated association; and
d) a statutory body.

5.3 The following are NOT legal entities and must NOT be entered in the registrant field of  the registry database:

a) a registered business name;
b) a trade mark;
c) a trust; and
d) a partnership."

The second requires (see http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-05/
Schedule F):

"1. To be eligible in the org.au 2LD, registrants must be:
a) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
b) a political party registered with the Australian Electoral Commission; or
c) a trade union or other organisation registered under the Workplace Relations Act 1996; or
d) a sporting or special interest club operating in Australia; or
e) a charity operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation; or
f) a non-profit organisation operating in Australia, as defined in the registrant’s constitution or other documents of incorporation.

2. Domain names in the org.au 2LD must be:
a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name; or
b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant."

I think 1. above rules out an individual hold the license of an org.au
domain. So the advantage of an incorporated AUUGPS is that it easily
fulfils both parts.

Others have suggested Linux Australia.  Having read the Constitution of
LA and their policy on Sub-Committees, I think this would be possible if
they would set up AUUGPS as a sub-committee of LA.  A sort of historical
society, if you will.  I cannot say how the LA committee would react to
the suggestions, I guess I should put it to them.

You will not that I have not really addressed AUUG continuing as I don't
think that is a viable options any more.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/