[AUUG-Talk]: misc questions from a pom

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Jul 30 17:10:14 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

I'm a stranger to this list so I hope my questions are appropriate for
this mailing list.

I'm a UK FreeBSD user who's on holiday in Darwin visiting my sister &
family and I've been tasked with getting their computing needs sorted.

Currently, they're on dial-up on a really crappy, broken XP system and
my plan is to set them up with a dual boot system using FreeBSD and
hooking them up to ADSL.

Telstra say their line to the house is OK for ADSL but that the house
telephone wiring is broken. This I can well believe, as there is a
rat's nest of junction boxes and cables underneath the house going to
several points in the house.

I don't know anything about telephone wiring, so I was proposing to
either get Telstra or a freelance telephone engineer in to fix it.

Would I be right in thinking the freelancer would be the way to go?

Could anybody recommend one to me?

I also want to buy a wireless router, some wireless NICs and some
memory. What's the best place online in Oz to buy that sort of gear?

Finally, any recommendations for an ISP? A static IP would be nice but
not essential and a fairly large cap would be handy. (My sister's 14
yr old boy ran up $1000 in charges in one quarter downloading video
etc. :(

Many TIA.

--

 Frank