[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG differences

David Vincent d__ at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 21:42:25 EST 2008

Hello,

On 20/01/2008, at 21:24, R Denholm wrote:

> What makes AUUG distinct in offering than SAGE or the various LUGS
> around ?
> I know a central reference and knowledge point for unix assistance
> via AUUG is
> lessened now that web access is ubiquitous.
>
> Having had to decode and disentangle a lot of shell scripts over
> the years, I
> would like to see within AUUG a BOF group focussed on ksh93
> scripting style
> and technique.  Fun with different flavours of unix and how to work
> around
> them (eg why solaris grep is brain dead, so change PATH
> to /usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/bin ), why HPUX uses more memory than other
> unices ( no
> MMAP) and selection of algorithms to work around these differences.
> comp.unix.shell has a lot of noise on it, so I dont bother reading
> it much,
> and I suspect neither do most non-north americans.

This is an interesting idea, which does not seem to have been
followed up in the list.

It might be worth AUUG's while to do (or commission, if not too
expensive) some research to profile what Unixes, especially
commercial ones, are actually in use in Australia.  You could do
similar research with respect to major software packages available
for Unixes.  Perhaps someone has already done this research.  Maybe
it would be a good project for a student.

Such a profile might show us where Australia is sufficiently
different from other nations or regions.  If so, it would direct us
to the areas we should consider developing as AUUG specialities.

Anecdotally our group at Toshiba is one of the largest Aegis sites in
the world. (Anecdotally after some Googling (M-Del) research by one
of our managers.)

warm regards,

David Vincent

- --

D A Vincent  +61 2 9850-2593  dvincent at toshiba-tap.com
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT  TOSHIBA (AUSTRALIA) PTY. LIMITED
"Every little thing she does is magic."