[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Help keep AUUG alive!

Anthony David adavid at adavid.com.au
Mon Jan 21 04:29:01 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:07:39PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> AUUG has been in decline for years now.  At the turn of the century we
> had about 600 members (from memory); now it has about 30.  Still, many
> ex-members are on these lists, and the discussion over the last few
> months has shown that they are far from disinterested in the matter.

Yes. It is hard to believe I had first been associated with AUUG over
18 years.

> As you probably know, financial members--only--of AUUG will soon be
> called to decide whether to dissolve AUUG.  A couple of months ago, I
> put forward a motion to continue AUUG as a non-financial institution
> (which mainly means that members pay no fees).  The benefits that I
> see in this are mainly a web site and a mailing list, though as long
> as AUUG remains incorporated, other things could happen too.
>
> The AUUG board has recognized this possibility, but the upcoming
> ballot on whether to dissolve AUUG will (probably) not take it into
> account.  Instead, we (the ex-members and others interested in AUUG's
> fate) have been asked to come up with an alternative solution.
>
> So, here it is.  Some initial questions:
>
> * Are you interested in the survival of AUUG if it doesn't cost you
>   money?  If you don't, I'm surprised you answered the question, and
>   the following questions don't make any sense to you, but I'd still
>   be interested in your reasoning.

I am interested.

> * Are you prepared to take an active part in keeping it alive?

Yes. But as a limited supporter. My extra time has been, and will be,
consumed by part-time study and the few other voluntary activities
I am involved in.

> * What goals should the new AUUG pursue?

When I think of AUUG, I think of the people that have taught me, formally
and informally over the years. Peopple such as Laurie Brown, Chris Maltby,
Greg Lahey and Ben Elliston. Two of them I had first had contact with at an
AUUG conference. This does not mean that a full-on conference is my preferred
future goal of AUUG. As has already been noted, there are so many less
expensive ways of keeping in virtual contact these days.

That being said, "meatspace" (I haven't seen that word used for a while
so I thought I would dust it off) meetings are highly beneficial.

One-day local events on an annual basis might be achievable with enough
local support. I can only talk for Canberra, but I can see a void that
could be filled by such a thing. There are enough people doing interesting
things to make it a worthwhile event. Historically it has been AUUG and
SAGE-AU that organised such things. Professionally I am working with
Linux, with some exposure to the "functionally stable" IRIX. I would be
happy to help out with a regional day seminar in mid to late November.

> * Should it remain incorporated?

I say it should.

That being said, The imposition on smaller bodies is not too onerous
but the impositions on a national body is greater. I feel uncomfortable
in as I cannot contribute into the ongoing oversight of such an
organisation.

> * What other issues should we consider?

The above is sufficient for me.

> I'm expecting a lot of discussion on this matter.  Please direct to
> talk at auug.org.au.  If you're not on the list, please either join (via
> can keep you in the loop.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.

Anthony David

Gambling(n): A discretionary tax on those asleep during high school maths
http://adavid.com.au/