[AUUG-Talk]: John Lions (was: Help keep AUUG alive!)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Sun Jan 20 18:36:45 EST 2008

On Sunday, 20 January 2008 at 17:43:34 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> * What goals should the new AUUG pursue?
>
> To keep the memory of Dr. John Lions alive, amongst others (I doubt
> whether many penguins have even heard of him).

On the contrary.  Look at my description of LCA in Dunedin 2 years
ago, in my diary entry for 27 January 2006, at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jan2006.html#27 .  The "penguins" put
us to shame by collecting $40,000 for the Lions' chair (what I didn't
mention there is that LA matched the money collected 1:1, then USENIX
matched that again).  What has AUUG volunteered so far?  Nothing.

>> * What other issues should we consider?
>
> If necessary, all monetary assets should go to the Lions Chair.

I suggested something very similar 2 to the board years ago.  Nothing
came of it.

Greg