[AUUG-Talk]: Any progress on continuing as an unincorporated organisation

Peter Wishart Peter.Wishart at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Jan 17 20:51:50 EST 2008

Steve,

I am now in the process of taking over from Chris Vance as the Treasurer
for the AUUG Board.   My thanks to Chris for his efforts as Treasurer.
It seems to have become one of the more onerous board roles since we
lost our paid Secretariat function.

I was also an officer of the Canberra chapter of AUUG (CAUUG) when this
transaction you reference took place.  I was probably Secretary or
President.  It was a while ago and we swapped roles around occasionally
in CAUUG.

My observations on this transaction are:
1. There hasn't been any CAUUG activity and no chapter committee in many
years (probably 4 or possibly more).
2. The money was generated by AUUG Canberra activities in the name of
AUUG.   Monies were always technically owned by AUUG, even before CAUUG
became a formal chapter of AUUG.
3. When CAUUG handed the money to the AUUG Board it had been sitting in
a bank account doing nothing for sometime.  CAUUG didn't need it and had
no proposals to use it.
4. The ABN/BAS issue was a symptom of a broader emerging problem about
the workload in trying to run CAUUG as a separate financial entity.
5. The agreement with the AUUG Board of the time was that if CAUUG
wanted money to support AUUG activities in Canberra we could access
it.   CAUUG never requested any money.
6. I do not believe there was ever an agreement that CAUUG would get the
money back unconditionally so it could effectively park it somewhere
again.

So I absolutely dispute that the AUUG board spent money it had no right
to use.

And now CAUUG effectively doesn't exist, so it certainly doesn't have
any proposals to use any monies to further either CAUUG or AUUG aims.

I think we should just close the discussion on this issue and move on.

We need to redirect our energies to the important issue of
re-establishing AUUG activities to sustain the organisation.

--
Peter Wishart
Peter.Wishart at canb.auug.org.au