[AUUG-Talk]: Re: [AUUG-Memb] Ownership of org.au domain names

Chris Maltby chris at sw.oz.au
Mon Dec 1 14:02:07 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 01:41:44PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Good news (depending on your point of view :-)), I have had a reply from
> AUDA about who can own an org.au domain:
>
> "The short answer however is yes - a small group of people (hobbyists,
> special interest groups etc) can register a .org.au domain name.  They do
> not require an ABN/ACN etc but must warrant they are a special interest
> group."
>
> So, this would mean that we do not need to incorporate AUUGPS (to own
> auug.org.au, at least).  Just more grist to the mill.

Stephen,

While that's the AUDA policy, it seems that none of the registrars
follow it - they all require a registration number of some sort. We
could have that argument with them, or... just get an ABN for the
unincorporated entity and use that for the registration.

An unincorporated body can get an ABN if one or more of its members
completes the online form and provides TFN info. You don't need to
register for GST or submit paperwork...

Chris