[AUUG-Talk]: misc questions from a pom

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 23:06:15 EST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:48:23PM +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Wednesday, 30 July 2008 at  8:10:14 +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
> >

> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I'm a stranger to this list so I hope my questions are appropriate for
> > this mailing list.
> >
> > I'm a UK FreeBSD user who's on holiday in Darwin visiting my sister &
> > family and I've been tasked with getting their computing needs sorted.
> >
> > Currently, they're on dial-up on a really crappy, broken XP system and
> > my plan is to set them up with a dual boot system using FreeBSD and
> > hooking them up to ADSL.
> >
> > Telstra say their line to the house is OK for ADSL but that the house
> > telephone wiring is broken. This I can well believe, as there is a
> > rat's nest of junction boxes and cables underneath the house going to
> > several points in the house.
> >
> > I don't know anything about telephone wiring, so I was proposing to
> > either get Telstra or a freelance telephone engineer in to fix it.

> > Would I be right in thinking the freelancer would be the way to go?
>
> Yes, I think so.  I'm not even sure you have the choice.

Many thanks for forwarding my message on to Malcolm Cauldwell at CDU,
Darwin.

He says he knows a couple of cablers and hopefully, one will be able to
fix it.

> > Could anybody recommend one to me?
> >
> > I also want to buy a wireless router, some wireless NICs and some
> > memory. What's the best place online in Oz to buy that sort of gear?
>
> I think you'll have difficulty doing better than Aus PC market
> (http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/).  Let me know if you find one.  They
> run FreeBSD :-)

OK. I've checked them out and they seem like just the outfit I want.

> > Finally, any recommendations for an ISP? A static IP would be nice but
> > not essential and a fairly large cap would be handy. (My sister's 14
> > yr old boy ran up $1000 in charges in one quarter downloading video
> > etc. :(
>
> Internode.  They run FreeBSD :-)

Excellent!

Apologies for my lateness in reply - can't seem to find anytime to do
my email!

> Greg

Regards,

--