[AUUG-Talk]: Survival of AUUG

George W Gerrity g.gerrity at gwg-associates.com.au
Fri Apr 25 12:35:48 EST 2008

I'm one of the (almost) silent members. I have been listening
quietly, but making no contribution because I don't feel in the
position to do so.

Many years ago when AUUG was active in every capital, and I was an
employed academic, I could attend conferences wherever they were
held, thanks to UNSW picking up the tab. I was also actively working
in UNIX and teaching courses using UNIX, and attending local meetings.

Today, I am retired, and I only occasionally dabble into the guts of
Darwin under my Mac OS, and even less often into Linux: still, I used
to enjoy reading AUUGN and would be in the position (now I am back in
Canberra from the Bush) to attend any local meetings, were there any.
I really can't afford to attend either conferences or meetings
outside of Canberra, and because I am not actively working in the
area, conference talks and work sessions are of little interest to me.

So, AUUG as it currently exists isn't a lot of use to me — especially
with the demise of AUUGN — but I would like to support it monetarily
if it still serves the *NIX and Open Source community. Thus, I'll
stay on as an inactive member for a while, to see if the organisation
can find a useful niche as a special-interest group in the *NIX and
Open Source community.

George Gerrity