[AUUG-Talk]: Proprietary Unixes (Dead?)

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Oct 7 01:10:02 EST 2007

Greg,

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday,  6 October 2007 at 10:39:25 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:
>> * working out whether one or more of the BSDs fit the definition
>>
>> I tend to think that it's relatively easy to come up with a sensible
>> definition of "viable" that makes the BSDs not viable as it is to make
>> them viable
>
> You're obviously not thinking of Mac OS X.  Of course, you can define
> "viable" in such a way as to exclude *all* UNIX-like operating
> systems.

My experience of OS X as a server running an Apache, Mysql and PHP stack
was abysmal. A 1Ghz AMD Duron running Debian GNU/Linux, no tweaks, with
a run of the mill hard drive could outrun a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 OS X server.

I consider OS X as a server operating system a toy -- I'd run FreeBSD
and get better results. I consider OS X as a desktop system as dead;
it's way too difficult to use for nothing...and:

a) Windows is effectively free (either OEM or illegal)
b) the competitors such as Gnome on FreeBSD are actually free

DSL