[AUUG-Talk]: Proprietary Unixes (Dead?)

David Purdue david.purdue at auug.org.au
Thu Oct 4 02:17:42 EST 2007

David Lloyd wrote:

> Are the Unixes that are proprietary dead or dying:

Commenting purely from what I have recently seen at one of the nation's
largest consumers of IT, combined with what (in my new job) my customers
are asking for as a provider of IT professional services...

> * AIX - IBM tout Linux these days

And soon they'll ship Solaris on their bades, according to El Reg
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/27/sun_ibm_solarisblade/), with a
third party already doing Solaris for IBM machines
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/07/sun_ibm_ebs/).

 From the first time I saw AIX I joined the legions of Unix Sysadmins
who just wanted it to go away.

But what can I say? IBM's customers still want AIX. IBM are still
investing in it (I am told it is a lot better these days and will soon
invest the time to find out if that's true), and still shipping lots.

However, I am willing to bet that the most profitable OS for IBM is
still MVS.

> * HP-UX - HP tout Linux / Windows these days

Again, there is a gap between what they tout and what customers ask for.
HP-UX is still healthy, as is Tru64 and even VMS.

> * Solaris - Is moving towards going Open Source

Well, the source code is available, but I get the impression that the
Linux types don't really classify Solaris as Open Source because of the
choice of licence. And there is still a distinction between the
proprietary and open source version of Solaris (although the proprietary
version can be downloaded for free).

I am an admitted Sun bigot, mostly because I like Solaris inside and
out. A very nice threaded implementation of the kernel allows for very
efficient use of hardware at all scales, and ongoing investment means
some great features, e.g. ZFS, the file system that renders volume
management obsolete.

> * IRIX - is dead?

Um, I think you may be right. (Apologies to friends at SGI.)

> * DEC UNIX - is dead?

Tru64 struggles on. I get demand for consulting work in this area.

> * SCO's offerings - is dead?

Still has a huge installed base of small servers (that generally have
not been patched for over a decade, but still just run).

All the supposedly dead Unix's have this in common: there are a bunch of
mission critical applications that only run on BLAHix 3.1.4.1.5.9.2, and
can not be ported to Linux because the company that wrote the app is no
more.

> Apart from Sun's Solaris, do any of the proprietary Unixes have enough
> backing to keep them going, in terms of market share? Do they have
> enough capital to remain competitive with each other, with Microsoft and
> with the open source offerings?
>
> I tender they don't. I could be wrong...

I tender that AIX is part of the pack of proprietary Unixes that will go
on, and HP-UX possibly. What drives on proprietary Unix is high end
hardware. If you spend 5 million plus on a machine, you want the OS that
is going to get the most out of that machine - for Sun hardware that's
Solaris, HP it is HP-UX and IBM it is AIX.

Cheers,

DavidP