[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG AGM 2007 (Notice of Annual General Meeting)

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Wed Nov 28 01:21:11 EST 2007

Forwarded on behalf of Peter Jeremy:
> On 2007-Nov-26 22:21:25 +1030, David Newall <david.newall at auug.org.au> wrote:
>
>> I suppose the meeting on the 12th would also resolve exactly how assets
>> should be distributed in the event that the ballot succeeds.
>>

> The meeting would not be competent to discuss this because it was not on
> the agenda.  I suggest that any dissolution ballot also include motions to
> cover the distribution of assets.

That was my initial thought until I realised that, fortunately, the
Agenda item, "Dissolution/continuance of the AUUG(!)", is sufficiently
vague that it can include how the assets would be distributed.  Under
that item, I would expect an order of business as follows:

1. At least 20 members petition for dissolution.  This technically would
not be part of the meeting, and perhaps should be done prior to its start.

2. The secretary announces receipt of the petition and advises that a
ballot will be held in accordance with rule 33.3.

3. The meeting discusses and resolves how the assets should be disposed
of, should the ballot succeed.

>> I question whether the UNSW Lyons Chair would meet the criteria listed
>> in section 33.3 (above.)
>>

> Please explain what particular criteria it fails on.  The Lions Chair is a
> non-profit, tax-exempt fund.  It appears to fit well within my (IANAL)
> reading of 33.3.

You're right.  I discovered that the UNSW Foundation, which would
receive the money, meets the requirements.

> I would be sorry to see AUUG fold up but it seems that there are not
> sufficient members to allow it to continue.

Let us, in these final days of AUUG, admit that it's been supplanted by
LA.  Absent the importance of brand names, and LA does everything that
AUUG ever did; and AUUG now does approximately nothing.  I felt a little
sad at first, but now I realise there's no reason to, because AUUG is
alive and well; it's just not called AUUG anymore.  It's a minor thing,
really, and not worth getting upset over.