[AUUG-Talk]: Lions Chair/Dissolution of AUUG

Steve Landers steve at digitalsmarties.com
Tue Nov 27 16:52:50 EST 2007

On 27/11/2007, at 2:32 PM, steve jenkin wrote:

> Christopher Vance wrote on 27/11/07 4:11 PM:
>> As I mentioned recently, I'm happy to check membership status for
>> anyone who asks, since I am custodian of the laptop holding the
>> definitive list.
>>
>> I guess I haven't pushed membership too hard, since I don't feel
>> right
>> asking people to pay for something that might be going away Real Soon
>> Now.
>
> This is a crucial matter for the Board to decide.
>
> Your stance seems to be that only people deemed to be Members [and
> hence
> allowed at the AGM] will be those who've paid fees within last 12
> months.
>
> That's OK, given this definition of 'Member' is probably written in
> the
> constitution.
> It does disenfranchise a bunch of people who are not currently
> financial
> due to no fault of their own.
> And who don't see the value to throwing $100+ at something to decide
> close it down.
> I would not class that rational behaviour...
>
> The Board should have the power to vary membership fees. Perhaps a
> nominal membership fee is called for in this situation.

It's a good point Steve raises.

Perhaps a prorata or nominal membership fee for those who have been
paid up members in the previous two years (or whatever period is
deemed appropriate), and that could be expanded to a full membership
at a later date if the decision is made to continue in some form.

Steve