[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG2007 speakers

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Wed Feb 7 15:55:19 EST 2007

On 2007-02-07, Arjen Lentz wrote:

> From this I conclude that AUUG *would* be competing against the
> other conferences, and I think that is a rather bad idea.

It seems a bit disingenuous for Arjen to make this remark without also
confessing that he is trying to lead a group that is planning to make a
proposal to run OSDC in Brisbane later this year -- perhaps he does see
it as a competition and just wants AUUG2007 to disappear?

On the subject of OSDC, I am retracting my earlier offer to assist with
it.  If this recent flurry of barely literate ranting from Arjen is any
indicator of the way he would tackle the planning and organisation of a
conference, I certainly don't want any part of it.

Seriously people, if you don't find any interest in AUUG2007, then just
get out of the way of the people who have seen a need and are working to
meet it.  There's nothing useful to be achieved by writing long rambling
diatribes.

Returning to the original question, I'd like to see:

    Bryan Kernighan on the ideas in "The Practice of Programming"

    RMS or Eben Moglen on GPLv3

    Kent Beck on XP

    Somebody from Sun on Dtrace

Cheers, Greg